Junior Reptile Interest Group (J-RIG)

If you provide educational talks at schools, functions, shows, etc, you can list your details here. This section is also for discussions on various philosophies, etc, as everyone teaches differently and has different beliefs. This applies to Reptiles only. If you would like to open a topic for debate, please do so in the debate forum.

Junior Reptile Interest Group (J-RIG)

Postby MrG » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:15 pm

I had this idea for a while and as my 9 year old are getting older and more experienced in dealing with reptiles, his mates have shown a lot of interest too. His birthday over the weekend was the perfect start for J-RIG and their first get together.

I must say the support from the parents were awsome and hope that the word will spread fast and that i can get them together every second month or so. I am planning to take them to the THA beauty pagent evening, the new butterfly sactuary,Pta zoo and regular outings. The idea is to talk to the kids in a way that they understand, staying with basic names and discribtions that they can understand.

The parents agreed on a sleepover and that gave me the oppurtunity to take the 11 boys for a night walk on Friday evening. We found some toads, spiders, a burrowing scorpion and a very nice looking Herald snake. Questions were ask afterwards and their knowledge improved a lot. (Parents as well ;) )

On Saterday I gave them a nice show and they took something home that a lot of other kids will never experience in a lifetime.

The group showing spirit. :cool:

Come on Reptile lovers start your own J-RIG's and let us know how they are doing. ;)
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby froot » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:29 am

You definitely do your bit for the community Mr G, sounds great for kids.

Tell us more about J-RIG, I've never heard of it.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:13 am

This is a great idea.

Mr G is perfect for this as well due to the inherent danger of little boys believing they are "bullet proof". The dangers that are present if you make a mistake should be stressed on a regular basis.

They are more than welcome to attend any THA meetings as well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby MrG » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:46 pm

Thanks Froot and BV.
J-RIG is just the name i have decided on. I am sure the group will grow and hopefully on the next get together they bring more friends. All are from the same school and they get together every second month from the Friday evening untill the next day at 15h00.

It is a nice age to start with them as they dont think they are clever and are really learning something. The parents that came along would also learn a lot. It's just something i want to give back and enjoy it at the same time. ;)

I have a sponsor for food and colddrinks and the venue is usually for free.
MrG

Postby Q Ball » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:42 pm

That is a great idea Mr. G. I am not as connected in the herping industry but I would be happy to assist in any way I can so don't be scared to ask.
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 am

Thanks Q.
MrG

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:31 am

Great stuff MrG. It's best to start them young.

We do snake shows at kids parties quite regularly as well, and it's amazing how many kids say "I don't like snakes" when you arrive and then at the end of the talk they are holding the big python. lol

Keep up the good work.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Return to Educational Talks