Info can save your life

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Info can save your life

Postby snake-5 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:52 am

Hi,

Wish I could trade you for some South African Polyvalent but we are not allowed to sell anti-venom to the public we can only use for envenomations in a hospital. But find out what your local zoos have on stock if they have any North American Pit Vipers on display they should have anti-venom. CroFab, Wyeth and Antivipym will cover those snakes. Be aware you will need at least 20 to 30 vials of CroFab for a moderate Western bite. Have a plan including numbers incase you get a bite we are available 24 hrs a day for the Doctors treating you. Make sure you have Medical Documents/Case studies/Protocols to show the treating Doctor, because if they are like US Doctors here they won’t listen to a venomous snake keeper. Hope this helps.

I’ll be glad to answer any other questions.

Lieutenant Charles R. Seifert

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue

Venom Response Team

(786) 331-4444 Office

(786) 229-0430 Cell

(305) 222-2125 Fax

(305) 366-3087 Pager

E-mail: seifert@miamidade.gov

Web site: www.venomone.com
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:55 am

I have heard the CroFab costs a good few hundred dollars an ampoule. If you multiply even just $500 with 20 vials then you end up paying $6000 which means R36000 excluding 14% vat and 15% import duties after paying freight and handling charges which is probably another R5000.

Rather expensive for a mistake. I would love to get their "expired" antivenom because as you all know the expiry date is just a legal hinderance and is no indication of its efficiency.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BWSmith » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:28 pm

Last info I saw was US $900 for CroFab. Hopefully Bioclon will become more available in the US as it seems to be more effective against the more neurotoxic crotalids.
BWSmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Damn now that is a lot of money. I would not have budgeted for enough antivenom and probably lost and arm or a leg.

Oh I see now why if something is too expensive they say it costs "an arm and a leg".

BW please tel us more about Bioclon.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BWSmith » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:34 pm

Bioclon is the manufacturer of Antivipym. I just always refer to it as Bioclon since Antivipym goes against my brain's natural spelling funtions :) It is a Mexican crotalidae polyvalent so it is designed for more neurotoxic species such as durissus. My understanding is that it is more effective against these types of crotalids.
BWSmith
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic highly venomous snakes