Forum announcement:- Posting quality.

Website specific announcements.

Forum announcement:- Posting quality.

Postby froot » Tue May 08, 2007 9:44 pm

It has come to our attention that the quality of posting by certain english speaking members is becoming an issue.
Some people don't seem bothered to use correct grammar, sentence structure, punctuation to the point where everyone else is trying decode what has been posted.
We have members from other countries for whom english is a foreign language and they post with better english than some recent posts we've seen from local members. Good money has gone towards school fees and considering we don't see any of that good money, we don't feel obliged to give english lessons.
There is an edit function next to member's posts which was put there for people (and not moderators) to correct any errors. We strongly urge you to use it.
Bottom line is, we are clamping down lazy posting, please take your time and post properly.

Regards, SAReptiles team
Last edited by froot on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 09, 2007 9:50 am

If you are posting and put the scientific names for reptiles please add the common name as well. We have a number of younger members who will not know what we are talking about and instead of them doing a search rather give them the information all in the same post.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Spikelet » Thu May 10, 2007 7:28 am

A word of question for the younger members who don't know a snake from an earthworm? Can we still post our reptile spotting pictures and will you guru types help us identify what we have seen?
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu May 10, 2007 8:15 am

Yes Spikelet, we are not saying you cannot post, we are just trying to keep the forum "easy to read" for the foreign members. We are happy to identify any snakes you would like to post.

Please note that the editing function has been disabled as certain members in the recent past did abuse it. Please check your posts before hitting the submit button.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 10, 2007 10:14 am

Spikelet the idea is to make the posts more informative. If you are not sure what a rare or exotic species is being refered to then it would be easier if the common name is added.

If you just refer to a "watersnake" we have possibly 10 different genera which it could be and cover possibly 5 continents of origins.

We would like both the scientists and the beginners to be able to appreciate the post and possibly learn from it or be able to comment on it. This helps that we do not alienate anybody from enjoying the forum.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Irock » Thu May 10, 2007 10:30 am

I think that's a great idea!!! lol

I for one have no idea what the heck people are talking about when they refer to the snake's scientific name! lol
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Thu May 10, 2007 11:32 am

It is with great acceptance that the request herewithin is adhered to.
Lest not to envoke confusion upon Homo erectus (Human) members of the forum upon which such discussions are conducted. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby shamroth » Thu May 10, 2007 11:39 am

um...its homo sapiens nasicornis :roll:
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 10, 2007 11:44 am

That would be "Homo sapiens" not "Homo erectus".

I am not even going to make a comment about your little blunder lest I get castigated by other mods and members or get accused of gay bashing.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Thu May 10, 2007 11:46 am

Ok, I wasn't updated on the edit facility for members. It is currently incative, reasong being, members can edit their own posts indefinitely. This poses a risk for older topics where people can sabotage their posts and topics left redundant. The edit facility needs to have a time limit applied to it, where people can fix their own mistakes after posting, after which the time limit expires and the posts are cast in stone. I hope this makes sense.

This:
There is an edit function next to member's posts which was put there for people (and not moderators) to correct any errors. We strongly urge you to use it.

is defunct and should now read:
When posting there is a 'preview' button next to the 'submit' button. Please use it to verify that your post is correct and in line with this announcement.

Apologies for the mix up ;)
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Nasicornis » Thu May 10, 2007 12:31 pm

NO , I MEANT HOMO ERECTUS!!!!

It is latin : Homo erectus ("upright man"), extinct species in the genus Homo (no BV, not the homo you are referring to).

It was meant to be an indication to evolution of man and intelligence therefore we (as evolved beings) should post with proper grammer. :-P :-P :-P
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby shamroth » Thu May 10, 2007 12:34 pm

ah,.....
in that case I'm sorry, that level of thinking is beyond me in the middle of the week :-?
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu May 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Middle of the week!! Already!! Geez... feels like Monday to me. But then again, today is the first day of work for me this week. lol
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Irock » Thu May 10, 2007 12:43 pm

Thursday is the beginning of friday as far as I am concerned!!! lol
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shamroth » Thu May 10, 2007 12:44 pm

oh you so lucky! and here iv been studyin and writing papers for 4 days straight
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Forum announcements