Leopard Tortoise Release

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Leopard Tortoise Release

Postby Sfourie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:59 am

Hi all

We live security complex on the outer edges of Nelspruit. I have just found a leopard tortoise outside my house. I do not want it to end up as a pet so I want to release it away from all the houses. But what type of habitat would be best to release it into? We have valley about 500m away where I usually release snakes that I catch in the area. The valley is surrounded by rocky outcrops. Within the valley there is a small stream and lots vegetation. The valley is part of the Nelspruit Nature Reserve so it is quite a large area where few humans ever come. Would this be ok? Or should I release it in small pocket of thick flame thorn, mountain fig, kiaat and marula shrub that we have within the complex (also home to 2 grey duikers and 1 red duiker). The shrub is about 60m wide and 250m long and it is very rocky in some places with steep inclines.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Leopard Tortoise Release

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am

I think you should release it in the reserve :). They will travel far distances, and with a small area like that he will eventually leave to explore.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 am

Yeah rather give it a big area it can roam in especially if it is protected from places where people could pick it up as a pet or as food.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby LizardLover » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:11 pm

:shock: Food
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Will do. Thanks BV and Mr Venom. Good place for photography there as well.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 pm

No worries :). Just remember we want photos ;).
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Yeah Mr. Venom, I reckoned you’d like some photos.

I released her in the valley. Since it was pretty warm at that time I searched for a nice thicket, which I found in the form of some lantana (I hate those plants). When I opened the box, I found that she had defecated. No discharge from the bursa though, only faeces. The scent kind of reminds me of buffalo droppings. I took a couple of pictures, I don’t often get to work with tortoises in natural surroundings (as natural as lantana can get anyways), it was a good opportunity. And so with an orange-breasted bush shrike calling close by, I left her in peace.

Note the serrated edges on her beak, I didn’t notice that till I was working with the photos.

Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryan5151 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Great photo's . that is a realy nice looking tortoise.
Ryan5151
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Haha you guessed right Sfourie.

Thanks a lot for posting the photos, she looks so cute!

Years ago when I was about 6 or 7 I kept a baby that my uncle gave me, I kept him for about a year, then gave her away to my aunt when we had to move. I really love tortoises and turtles. I'm just so depressed that we may not keep them.

Today while watching SnakeBytesTV I noticed in Japan that they had an albino Leopard tortoise! I never even knew that they existed yet.

Stunning photos, thanks for sharing :).
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians