Taming new 6 month old wild iguana

Re: Taming new 6 month old wild iguana

Postby forest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:47 am

Sorry I wasnt around to get back to you on the bath issue. Glad to see you came right!

Remember iguanas are one step forward and two steps back. Please dont be upset or think you did something wrong if he is not easy on another day. They are like a roller coaster ride and you will never know what to expect next. They only settle down much later, say after 2 years of age. But it is a FUN ride! :D

Dont worry about the puffing up etc., it takes a long time and lots of handling before Diesel will start trusting you. If you are consistent with the handling and shower him with love and soft words, you will maybe end up with an ig like mine that choose to clime on you each night, stretch out, close eyes and sleep like a baby. :smt007
I am too emotional about animals. Please forgive me for thinking with my heart.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:06 am

Kitten? Dont let Diesel hear you say the K word.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks guys appreciate your replies, will try 2 Handel Diesel 2night but it won’t be for long because I work till after 4 and leave home at 5:30 to go to the MMA Cage fighting club and we finish at 7:00. Will be home at 7:45-8:00 but it will be too late to Handel Diesel then because the time for the lights are set at 7 so he will be asleep and I don’t want to mess up his day/night cycle.
To make a long story short – will inform you guys how day 5 went tomorrow or tonight
(It’s awesomely breathtaking to see so much people that love animals and reptiles as much as they do) I just think it’s beautiful
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:50 pm

My timers are set from 6:00 in the morning till 20:00. I usually only put my boy to bed at 21:00. Believe me, your handling time is much more important than your iguana's sleeping time.

There are no right time frame for lights on and off, you need to modify it around your personal schedule so that you can spend the maximum time with your new responsibility. :D

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:54 pm

Little detail about the cage – size – H 1.8m x L 1.5m x D 0.6m
Lighting – day light + moon light + 10.0 UVB
Large bathing bowl
This is my own starting kit, will upgrade to a room when Diesel out grows his cage. Would say Diesel is ± 47 cm Snout 2 tail
I use calcium and vitamin powder over his food every day.

The photos taken of the cage was in the beginning, more stuff has been added like bigger ladders and some branches.

Hope you like
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57 pm

That sounds good but a lot of people wrote that his day/night cycle is very important for their health and personality? Is this true?
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:33 pm

Yes of course he needs to sleep at night, that is why a red light etc. is a no-no. I am not saying that you must change the on and off time for each day, just change it so that it fits better with your schedule. I am busy every night until about 19:00, then I sit back and relax, this is usually the best time spend with my iguana. If my ig went to bed at 7 then I will never see him. :roll:

Handling him after lights are off on occasions are really not a problem. My ig sleeps on my chest every night until I am finished watching House. :D

I like your cage!

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 pm

hi its a big cage for a little one , make sure that the temp is constant and that he eats well. can see you made effort with its cage. well done
just as long that he is getting enough uvb daily, a good 10-12 hours, handle him whenever it suits you and the more the merrier, he will sleep in your hand or while you handle him when he wants. its like a new baby, what suits your routine, is good for household. have a look in the gallery on my iggies sleeping baskets, they just love them
keep up the good work :D
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:09 pm

The day temperature remains between 30˚C and 36˚C (a 10.0UVB light is on from 6:00 till 19:00) this is when the moon light goes on. Night temp remains between 25˚C and 30˚C (I made a point on checking it regularly)

It’s good to know I can pick Diesel up after bed time (jay this means more bonding time) thanks guys he’s more relaxed that time any way and I don’t have to budget my time so strictly

He eats very well, strangest thing is the green leaves are like treats to him??? (normally from what I heard there treats are like certain flowers???) is this normal or could this mean that he shorts something in his system?
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:27 pm

It must be between 32 - 35 directly under the basking light, the cold side must be between 25 -28. Night temps must be between 21 -28. Bump the time up to 20:00 if it will suet you better.

Only dust his food every 3rd day with a pinch, too much calcium is toxic!

What greens are you feeding, they usually go crazy about lettuce and that should not be in the diet at all. Here is a list of what he needs to eat.:
Staple greens:
Mustard greens
Dandelion
Turnip
Escarole
Watercress
Endive
Collard
All types of squash

I know that we do not have mustard in our shops. You can plant mustard seeds, they grow extremely fast and the more leafs you cut the better it grows. The same with turnip, it grows very fast and easy.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:44 pm

I don’t feed my iguana lettuce at all he loves the Turnip, I feed him everything on the list you just gave and like you say mustard greens (I didn’t find yet) I do not add to much calcium and vitamin powder to his meal but will cut down on it, Temperature aren’t 2 far out will reset the timer to go off and on during the day to get a lower temperature where needed o yes and the humidity stays close to 80%

Dam I still need to learn so much more (why do opinions differ so much it confuses me)
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:51 pm

This brings me to my next question how do I know who to trust and what to belief – any trustable sites?? :smt012

I don’t like making mistakes at all when it comes to my baby’s health and wellbeing (same goes for my dogs)!!! :smt009
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:16 pm

You CAN NEVER trust the internet, you will NEVER know who you are talking to. Get that book!

The writer of the book studied iguanas, not only in his home but also in their natural environment. He also did researched and spoke to hundreds of iguana owners. Like I said, that is the iguana bible. My info comes straight from the book. ;)

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Marlize wrote:any trustable sites?? :smt012

Yip. SAReptiles...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks Fred and Forest

Forest – would I be able to get the book from CNA?? Or should I go 2 Pet shops?

:smt006
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)