My durissus

My durissus

Postby MegF » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 am

Thought I'd post a few of Light, my C. durissus. She's a beautiful girl and pretty nice to be around except at feeding time! Packs a serious strike to her!
The eating machine!
Say hello!
4.4.2~Green tree pythons
4.2~Amazon tree boas
1.3~Sibon Nebulatus
1.0~Eyelash Viper
1.0~Copperhead
1.1~False Water Cobras
0.1~Cantil
0.1~Neotropic rattlesnake
http://www.franclycac.com
MegF
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My durissus

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:29 am

Very nice colour to her. Caramel spots and so shiny!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby MegF » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 pm

She is beautiful. I wasn't really interested in Crotalus of any type excepting perhaps a ruber, but her color just caught my eye so I got her. I actually got another one before her (same color) that was an absolutely crazy killer. I just couldn't safely keep her so after 7 months I traded her for this one. They look identical but this one isn't psycho!
4.4.2~Green tree pythons
4.2~Amazon tree boas
1.3~Sibon Nebulatus
1.0~Eyelash Viper
1.0~Copperhead
1.1~False Water Cobras
0.1~Cantil
MegF
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lachesis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:30 am

I absolutely love durissus! Stunning snakes. Hope to get some next year!
Lachesis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MegF » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:15 pm

Be prepared! They are something else! This one supposedly will ride a hook but I haven't had to test the theory yet. The one I had before her evidently hated the hook but was okay with tongs...WRONG! She went ballistic with the tongs as well and there's nothing like a ballistic neo attempting to bite everything in sight. Scary, scary, scary. I finally got rid of her and got this one because she was just too dangerous. I didn't have a proper setup for a snake like that. Smooth floors with about 10 ft of space in all directions is a must with something like that so that you can safely maneuver it without getting in range. Their venom is very toxic with neuro and hemo toxic properties so you don't want to get tagged!
4.4.2~Green tree pythons
4.2~Amazon tree boas
1.3~Sibon Nebulatus
1.0~Eyelash Viper
1.0~Copperhead
1.1~False Water Cobras
0.1~Cantil
MegF
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lachesis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:04 pm

MegF wrote:Be prepared! They are something else! This one supposedly will ride a hook but I haven't had to test the theory yet. The one I had before her evidently hated the hook but was okay with tongs...WRONG! She went ballistic with the tongs as well and there's nothing like a ballistic neo attempting to bite everything in sight. Scary, scary, scary. I finally got rid of her and got this one because she was just too dangerous. I didn't have a proper setup for a snake like that. Smooth floors with about 10 ft of space in all directions is a must with something like that so that you can safely maneuver it without getting in range. Their venom is very toxic with neuro and hemo toxic properties so you don't want to get tagged!

Of course, durissus are known to be a bit cranky!

Just don't take your current durissus to be a sweetheart :)
Lachesis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MegF » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 am

She's no sweety, but at least she isn't crazy. The other one was so out and out nuts that it just wasn't safe to have her around. I kept her for 8 months and then got the old owner to trade her out for this girl. I try not to have to handle them at all but at least she isn't so nasty that she tries to kill you if you touch her with the hook. I can lock her in her hide trap, or use tongs to remove water bowls and that sort of thing. As long as she doesn't think there's food involved she's pretty okay.
4.4.2~Green tree pythons
4.2~Amazon tree boas
1.3~Sibon Nebulatus
1.0~Eyelash Viper
1.0~Copperhead
1.1~False Water Cobras
0.1~Cantil
MegF
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rattlesnakes (Crotalus sp.)