To all Potential Venomous snake enthusiasts

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Re: To all Potential Venomous snake enthusiasts

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:35 pm

That should hopefully let people have second thoughts!
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:40 pm

Gruesome but necessary pics. I also think that many people are not fully aware of what could happen to them if they get bitten, hopefully these pics will shed some light on this. Also important for some other experienced members to give your reasons for not owning venomous snakes.

I have also parted with just about all of my exotic venomous, simply because it is very unlikely that I will be able to get antivenom in the event of a bite.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:22 pm

Just thought I'd end off by showing the healed arm after quite a few months of recovery! Sorry for the small image but you can still see the area where the skin graph was done. This guy can now scratch his face with a piece of skin from his own ass!
Lastly I found this motivational poster as a reminder for those who are considering keeping an exotic venomous snake or any venomous animal for that matter!
Take care and remember, Prevention is better than cure!!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:08 am

Sheeeeeesh! Seriously, is it really worth it? Damn! Thanks HH, that should do the trick.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:34 am

I believe that cost 1.4 million dollars and took 11 months to heal.

Edited because I type like an idiot.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby boing » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:42 am

Bushviper wrote:I believe that cost R1.4 million dollars and took 11 months to heal.

Sorry, BV, is that Rand or Dollars?
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Damn. Meant US Dollars.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Athema » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:19 pm

Ouch Ouch Ouch and Ouch.

I agree with everything said here. As I said a very long time ago, keeping a venomous snake is a simple fact of not if you get bitten, but when you get bitten. Would assume that those pic's are all from Hot-snake owners, and just reminds us that you cannot become slack around you pet. You cannot forget to put on your goggles or walk into the hot-room without making sure he is not hiding in a corner somewhere. My Sher-khan (Rinkhals) is lucky, he has a human as a pet, and not the other way round.
Athema
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:24 pm

The shock facter may be a good jolt, but you will still find idiots that think they can handle a hot and won't get bitten.

And for the record: Just because you managed to keep a corn snake, milk snake, king snake, etc alive for 1 or 20 years does still not qualify you for a hot!

DO A COURSE FIRST THEN RECONSIDER THE RESPONSIBILITY!

I'm out for today. Those pics made my headache a lot worse.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Hopefully these pics will make some people think twice. Everyone who added what they could has at least done something.
These pics are even putting me off my snakes,but this is the reality of what could happen and maybe now people can see why we get extremely hassled when they insist on getting hots with no experience, If we didn't care we would let them get bitten and suffer or die.
I dint think I would wish this upon my worst enemy.
Its true what they say "Some things are worse then dying".
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Hey all

I have been keeping Hots for a while now and seen many people get bitten coz they do stupid things.

Best advice I can give to any one is try not handle your aniamals unless it a must!!

Traps should be used in al cages in my opinion and a uncluttered work area is a big must!!
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zookeeper » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 pm

I was wondering if its possible to say what age group the majority of guys are that keep hots.For me it was just a natural progression which ended when I got married.Having a family made me reconsider the consquences of an accident and so I closed that chapter in my life.
Zookeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:33 am

ZooKeeper, The thought of my family is what keeps me from getting hots. What if my kids open the cages? My corn cages are locked and the keys put away and still they manage to find them and open the cages. What if I had a rattler in the cage? If a 2 year old gets bitten by a rattler it is a lot more serious than these pictures show. My 2 year old WILL die.

Scary thoughts...
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:54 am

Just my 2c worth: None of the victims in these pictures thought they were idiots. Some were accidental bites (ie non-snake handlers) others were incidental (snake handlers). The end result is the same. Serious, life-changing injuries. The handlers may or may not have been experienced enough to handle venomous snakes, that is not our place to decide. Genuine accidents happen when you are dealing with animals as they have a brain of their own and are thus unpredictable. Experienced handlers can have bad day, or even just a bad moment that can result in bite. I wouldn't say that every person who suffers a bite is an idiot or irresponsible but keeping or working with venomous snakes definitely increases your chances of being bitten by one. If it is only you who gets bitten that is bad enough, but if someone else gets bitten because of you, that is a tragedy.
In my opinion, a venomous collection (even if only one snake) should be kept in a locked room, preferably with a double door and the last door be clear so you can see the snake if it is out. Yes, your 2year old will probably die if bitten by a venomous exotic. So would your neighbours child if he was bitten. Lets not allow this happen and start doing it the right way before its too late. One dead "innocent" is all it will take for a national clamp-down on snake keeping, much like what is happening in the States now.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:22 am

Well said Snakes4Africa.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Reptile Keeping