Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Website specific announcements.

Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Postby froot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:58 pm

The time for this to happen has been inevitable all along but thanks to certain people the inevitability has just become an urgency. This community is growing by the day and as the law of averages dictates, along with the good apples come the bad. The forum's quality is slipping and all indications are that we are losing valuable members because of this, this site is becoming unpleasant for us admins to visit so I can only imagine how others must be feeling. That ended at the time this announcement was made, to the minute.

We have just initiated a drive to bring this forum back to the way we had it - and better, even if that means that the site's activity is halved!

When you register you receive an notification email that contains links to our rules and guidelines. If you havn't read them and you don't want any suprises do yourself a favour, take some time and read them. That is no longer our problem, we're making it yours from now on so disregard them if you want to find out what happens.

I am not going to go into what we are looking for before we restrict user's permissions, preservation of your user's permission set will be testament to your very own good judgement. I must add a hint though, make sure you post using proper english spelling, punctuation and grammar. If you are posting from a handheld and cannot do so then do yourself a favour and mention that! Here's another one, don't post because you can, especially in informative topics. If you have nothing to contribute, just shut up. Saying nothing won't get you into trouble.

I'm expecting a glut of newcomers to the restricted permissions group (the usernames in blue) in the near future, especially now that Bushbaby has worked out how to use that admin function :-P It has nothing to do with being fair, favouritism, discrimination or any other accusations made at us, it has everything to do with bringing this forum back up to scratch. That's our focus, together with the site's original goals.

If you find yourself in the restricted permissions group you may still post via approval by a moderator, if your conduct improves to our satisfaction we will re-instate your original permission set.

Be advised that we are not obligated to explain our actions as administrators, if we don't like something about the content you post or something in your profile, something will be done about it.

We must also re-iterate that we do not tolerate illegal activity on this forum. We will continue our endeavour to guide the misinformed to the correct course of action but if we have substantial proof of blatant illegal activity on this site, all perpetrators will be reported to the authoroties and banned completely and immediately.

If you feel that this forum does not meet your needs, then please, feel free to try some of the other online reptile communities.

Enough said.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Re: Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Postby cathryn » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:12 pm

I'm pleased about this. As a newcomer to the site I have been amazed at the abuse and put downs that I read on the site. (Sadly some has been from founder members) I think the site is wonderful and has a lot to offer but I will not stay around if the rudeness continues. There is a lot that I still need (and want) to learn about snakes but I am nervous of submitting questions because I know that to someone that has been around snakes a lot they will appear stupid and I am not prepared to be on the receiving end of some of the posts that I've read.
cathryn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:39 am

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people do not ask questions.
I am also pleased with this development in the protocols of the Forum.
Well done to the Board.
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:07 am

Thanks froot! There is, however, such a thing a stupid question. That is one that has been asked and answered before on the same site. If you are too lazy to research the subject before you pose the question, you are probably going to get get some some rather brief and curt answers. If you research your topic first and still cannot find your answer, try to continue on the thtread most pertinent to your question.
A few incorrect assumptions are made on this site, one of which is that if the person has a high number of posts listed on their profile, one assumes they "know their stuff." The contrary is sometimes true. The converse also happens. Just because 'New guy001' has only 2 posts does not make him a rookie. He is simply new to this site, but may have years worth of experience.
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:13 am

Well done to the board.
@S4A - Well said.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:19 am

The high standard set by the admin of this website and the level of expertise offered by the experts is what separates SA Reptiles forums' from the rest out there.
Well done to the board "putting it's foot down".
Thank you
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Great idea Mods, thanks.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby animalfanatic » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Brilliant - Thanks!
animalfanatic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 am

Great idea !

Well, obviously not an idea, but great move nonetheless...

I don't visit too often because of time constraints and the like so, when I do get time, I don't want to have to read about one members hissy fit to another because of a legit question, a debate etc.

Spelling and sentence construction mean a lot also, there's nothing worse than having to read a thread 10 times before getting a notion of what they posted.

Anyway,

Thanks guys and gals ( BB ), it's been a long time coming !!!
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 pm

A long time coming. This is a good move
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:29 am

Thank you!
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Thomash » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Well done,

Good work. Keep it up. I've seen many a forum go south as result of this. And I've also seen some very informative ones where the members adhere to the T's and C's

TH
Thomash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Seems like some members either have not read this message, or they chose to ignore it.

I know everyone's first language is not English. Fair enough. Spelling mistakes are mistakes BUT it is common knowledge that in the English language, I is written with a capital letter when refering to yourself. To or too is not spelt 2. That is blatently lazy posting and even when using a cellphone to post you can find the button for capital letters. It's not an excuse!!!

I've had it with telling each person this when I issue a warning. If you receive a warning from me it is most probably for one of the above reasons.

Thank you
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby cathryn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:17 am

While I do agree with you, I feel I must add a caution. Reading the posts it is clear that you are dealing with people from a wide age group. When I see how my kids post on Facebook and compare it to how some people post here I see no difference. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think they are being lazy - that is how the younger people write these days (I sound soooo OLD!!!) I am not saying it doesn't irritate me at times but maybe us oldies need to be more aware of how the trends are moving.
cathryn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:28 am

Young people should learn to write properly as well. This "new age" of texting, etc is really not good for the future. My daughter finds it really difficult texting me because I complain (and cr@p her out) when she texts in "short".

We cannot be expected to drop our standards of the board because they want to use their "lingo".
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Next

Return to Forum announcements