Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Website specific announcements.

Re: Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Postby cathryn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:29 am

Fair enough
cathryn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deleray » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:36 am

Agree, they are all taught English at school, and it is highly unlikely they write their essays and exams in "short" text language. Just plain lazy in my opinion.
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Thomash » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:51 am

If this is the way people write, I am of the opinion that all teachers should be fired, and put up against a wall
Parents should be refunded for their investment in their children's education.

TH
Thomash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:12 am

cathryn wrote:While I do agree with you, I feel I must add a caution. Reading the posts it is clear that you are dealing with people from a wide age group. When I see how my kids post on Facebook and compare it to how some people post here I see no difference. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think they are being lazy - that is how the younger people write these days (I sound soooo OLD!!!) I am not saying it doesn't irritate me at times but maybe us oldies need to be more aware of how the trends are moving.

Cathryn it becomes difficult to compare facebook and a forum such as this when you look at the differences between the two. Facebook is a social network whereas a forum is a community with a common interest. Posts made on facebook are more temporary than those on a discussion forum. Anything you post on a forum stays there indefinitely unless it is removed by a moderator for whatever reason. Forums are more focused and serve as reliable sources of useful information shared by reputable people with extensive experience behind them. It is very important that the information shared is done so using a standard medium of communication in order to avoid misconceptions by those taking in the information. The standard of communication we have chosen is, obviously, English, in it's pure form as opposed to 'digital age short hand english' that's come about enabling us to communicate quickly. This form of english is easy to use and has a place in our lives but we must be careful not to use it where it does not belong. This forum is one of those places. When posting here, people need to take their time and post carefully, what they say here may very well outlive them.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Serpy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 am

I agree with the problem of bad grammer, spelling and so forth on the forum lately. But some of the calls being made lately are extremely unfair, I make one mistake by spelling "I" without a capital like "i" and I get a pm. I will also add that my mistake was also not pointed out originally, if thats the case don't be suprised if it happens again!
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:29 am

I especially wrote what I wrote yesterday because I am TIRED of repeating the SAME message!!! Read what I wrote!! If there was a different reason, I would've said so! If you only made one mistake, it would be fine, but it was repeated in the same post. Hence it constitutes as lazy posting! You are not the first, nor the last person who has made this mistake, so don't feel singled out.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Serpy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:34 am

I'm so sorry that i was repeated twice instead of I!!!! Get angry Bushbaby its fine, I have the right to voice my gripes in this topic.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:38 am

Thank you. It was brought to your attention, and I trust you will look into it in the future and not make the same mistake twice :)
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Westley Price » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:45 am

Why does everyone get so distraught after receiving a warning?

It's just that...a warning. You're not banned or anything.

Take it and make sure the same mistake is not repeated.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Serpy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:03 am

I was not distraught, I was hacked off. Big difference, but its cool now.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:26 am

Use Firefox and you can even have a spell checker built in which will alleviate this problem. I had mine working with my posts and then "uninstalled" it somehow. If anyone can show me how to get it back up I would appreciate it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:30 am

I don't know about Firefox, but if you use IE then you can Google "Google Toolbar" and install this bar, it also has a spell checker on it and works really well. The only problem is it won't fix the "I" issue but that should not need a spell checker to fix actually.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby mgiddings » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:54 am

I just installed Google chrome, (just Google it) and it has an automatic spell checker, so you don't have to activate it, it's just there.
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JPWittstock » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Hence my call previously for a delete button.
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 pm

JP the problem with the delete button is that we get people editing posts or deleting posts when they feel the urge to throw their toys and then the whole thread makes no sense. We have experienced this before so we try to avoid it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Forum announcements