Aggro burm

Aggro burm

Postby gremlin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:29 pm

My little beast just tagged my son in the face :evil: .....

I took him out his cage and sitting on the bed handling him when Damon walked up to me, about a metre away and the little @%#* struck out at him. No warning nothing

Im kinda struggling to calm me down coz he tastes me every now and again which just makes me nervous of him
gremlin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Corncrazy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:36 pm

Maybe the snake got nervous or felt threatend when he saw him walk in. Is the snake still a baby, if so he maybe thought ur son was a predator and tried to protect himself.
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Postby gremlin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:42 pm

Yeah I hope so Dayne

Ive had him for about 2 months and he has always been a little on the aggro side but Murphy's Law.....when someone visits and takes him out then he is like a baby with them

I know I know.....handle handle handle
gremlin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Corncrazy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:43 pm

Well thats the only thing you can do, im sure he will calm down.. Only time will tell.

But good luck
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Postby gremlin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:52 pm

Thanx Dayne

Once I had sorted my sons screaming out and had calmed him down I saw the funny side and couldnt stop laughing......
gremlin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Corncrazy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:55 pm

Shame ur son must have got a HUGE fright, how old is he?
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Postby gremlin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:00 pm

He only just turned 5 but loves handling snakes :D

I told him to stick to my beardies from now on or the egg eater LOL
gremlin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:14 am

Ah shame. Sorry to hear that he got tagged. Sometimes they just get startled and tend to bite. I do not let my kids really handle my snakes, unless I am 100% confident the snake is okay with children. So far so good, none of them got tagged by anything big. My one daughter got bitten by a Brown House Snake, but that is cause she didn't listen to me.

Handle the little guy as much as possible. Sometimes they only start settling down at around a year old.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby gremlin » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:18 am

Thanx BB

My friend has a stunning boa who is well over a year now....anyways, her hubby took "Penelope" out to handle her and she bit their daughter on her arm

The funny thing is that their daughter didnt even notice she was bitten until they showed her the little drops of blood :lol: then the tears came
gremlin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gary » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:23 am

I know a youngster who has 2 boas and his young brother was bitten in the eye fortunatly no damage, shame he could not wait to come and show me he eye which was all bloodshot. I think we also need to realise that these are wild animals and need to handle them as such I tend to be little careless myself but now take more care when introducing new people to the snakes. Had an Albino baby corn which gave me a full go the other day caught in on mini cam surprised how the jaw opens fully when biting.

Regards
Regards
Gary
You CAN do it.
Gary
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gabi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:16 am

:lol: Shame. Luckily now than in a couple of years..

Yeah handle handle handle that the only thing I can say :oops: Although you know that too. I also have a baby burm & she does get abit frightened every now and then last night I picked her up & Sean was misting her tank & he slightly misted her & she went flying for him LOL was actually quite cute... But soon she'll pick up size & confidence.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

yes

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:00 am

as gabi said

i think the trick with the burms is slowly and carefully as babies.
they seem to get frightend very easily but at there size and with the 5 dimentional view they have on the world (with the heat pits etc) i dont blame them.
Sean

Postby gremlin » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 pm

Oraait BB :D so my burm is about 7 months old now and is around a metre in length

He only gets fed 1 rat every Thursday and Ive been told that I must feed him way more than that.

Now, two reliable supposedly 'expert' herpers gave me the following advice regarding boids:

"DONT feed your boids (babies) more than one rat a week because their bodies will grow too big for their internal organs to handle and their heart wont take it"

Comments please?
gremlin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gabi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:00 pm

A burm is a big eating machine. It'll basically eat anything but feeding it too much will make it obese. I read on another forum the other week that you should feed a baby burm every 2 days. If you feed it only once a week it'll slowly starve to death. Now I only heard this by one person. I did research after research & I am under the impression of feeding my burm once a week. And she's healthy and she's picking up weight.

I don't know but I see it causing no good in the future. I don't under feed my snakes they all get fed once a week.

Boids..Boas that have small head scales don't go so well with over feeding. I feed my boa once a week and every 3rd week I skip her. When she was a baby I didn't skip her. If you over feed these guys it starts big problems eg: Heart & liver problems.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi

Postby froot » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:52 pm

Grem, if it is constantly aggressive it could be that it has some internal irritation. Has it been defecating regularly? What is the texture like? Colour? Anything out of the ordinary could be an indication of the cause of irritation. Also take a look in it's mouth and check that it is a healthy moist pinkish colour, not a dryish white colour.
It wasn't in pre-shed was it?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Next

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)